Master Ledford Online
As given in class on Monday 18 April 2016
A Prospectus among us
- Legislative mandates for both Holocaust and online courses, coupled with increases in online enrollments necessitate the creation of virtual Holocaust education courses
- FS 1003.42 Required Holocaust Education Mandate Public School Instruction http://www.fldoe.org/policy/task-forces-committees-commissions/task-force-on-holocaust-edu/fs-1003-42-required-holocaust-edu-mate.stml
- CS/CS/HB 7191- Digital Learning http://www.myfloridahouse.gov/sections/Bills/billsdetail.aspx?BillId=46852
- There is a difference between how face-to-face and online Holocaust courses should be taught.
- Holocaust courses present unique challenges in terms of online course creation (Instructional Design issues).
- Social Constructionism- Let’s make meaning together!
- History Education vs. Human Rights Education
- Need more exposure to Distance Education research to find the theoretical overlap
- Coming Summer 2016!
- Alternative methods: ?
- I’m sure there’s plenty I’ve yet to be exposed to, could change the entire face of the project if given the chance
- History of Holocaust Ed → Current state & debate
- Fallace, Lazar & Hirsch, Totten, Littell
- History of Distance Ed → Current state & debate
- iNACOL, need more specifics behind theories
- How to teach the Holocaust: “Best Practices”
- How to teach online: “Best Practices”
- Teaching Holocaust digitally, but not fully about how to teach it in an online course
- Berson & Haas, Lazar & Hirsch
- If the current methods of developing and offering Holocaust courses online continue, courses are going to continue to do a disservice to the students and instructors alike (suck).
- A lot of research needs to be done in how to properly develop and implement Holocaust courses online
- In what ways do online Holocaust course offerings align with the “best practices” of the fields of distance learning and human rights education?
- How should future online Holocaust course offerings be developed in conjunction with the “best practices” of distance learning and human rights education?
General research plan
difficulties & pitfalls
- Size of data set could be either too large or too small, will require exploration before collection
- Replicability of results will be limited to Florida
- Exemplar chapter may be unnecessary, burdensome
- Breadth and depth of research body could be difficult to navigate, limit in Lit Review
- “Best Practices” for online Holocaust courses
- Exemplar curriculum model
- Reconsideration of prevailing ID/SME relationship
- Possible changes to existing Florida online Holocaust courses
- Get my PhD